As many of us are putting the finishing touches on holiday gifts and hustling about the city to get those last minute items, a appetite can be worked up and here’s a great recipe to create a traditional holiday snack with a bit of extra love.
Gingersnap Cookies with Medicated Caramel Frosting
Makes approx 30 cookies
• 3/4 cup butter, softened
• 1 cup sugar
• 1 large egg
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp ground ginger
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp sea salt
Medicated Frosting Ingredients
• 2 Tbsp butter, softened (you can use canna-butter for extra potency)
• 1/4 cup heavy cream
• 1/4 cup medicated dulce de leche
• 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
• Crunchy finishing salt, like Maldon
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in one egg and molasses.
3. Combine the all-purpose flour, ground ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
4. Roll cookie dough into 1-1/2″ balls. Place 2″ apart on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, approximately 10 minutes.
5. Remove to wire racks to cool.
6. While the cookies are cooling, combine the softened butter, confectioner’s sugar, medicated dulce de leche, vanilla, and heavy cream in a mixing bowl. Beat on low speed of electric mixer until blended.
7. Once cookies are cooled, spread the medicated caramel frosting and top with a crunchy finishing salt or holiday sprinkles.
Visit sousweed.com for further recipes.